Donnerstag, 23. Dezember 2010

Somalia - Escalation or Entanglement?

The United Nations Security Council voted to increase the African Union Mission in Somalia (AMISOM) from 8.000 to 12.000 troops, with Uganda being the likely contributor for the additional soldiers. Kampala has been urging for a more robust mandate for quite a while now and has also maintained that it would be willing to send reinforcements, should someone else pick up the bill (i.e. the US). I am surprised that the move did not get any media attention (then again, its silly season anyway) and that it is being made, although I haven't noticed that we formulated a different strategy or reviewed the existing one. I'll be commenting more on this story in January.

On that note: I am home for Christmas season, so I won't be blogging for the rest of the year. In the meantime: Merry Christmas.

Keine Kommentare: